Have you ever walked through a model unit in a new building and thought, wow, I wish I had such a beautiful home! Those homes have been professionally staged to look like the perfect place to live in. When preparing your home for sale these are the techniques to implement so buyers will take one look at your home and think the same thing.
6. Paint in soft colors that brighten the space and match most decor.
5. Update the hardware on your doors and cabinets. Consider how they look near the handles of your kitchen appliances and bathroom towel racks.
4. Clean walls, baseboards, floors, windows, door frames, etc. Touch up any scuffed paint. This will freshen up all of your permanent surfaces.
3. Clean the fireplace. Even the logs and rocks in gas fireplaces can usually be cleaned. Consult your fireplace store for options.
2. Purge, purge, purge. Hold a yard sale, sell items on Ebay, donate what you can’t sell, just get rid of anything you don’t use.
1. Pack, pack, pack. Remember the model homes that were professionally staged? Now is the time to make yours look like that. Pack away anything you don’t need such as knick-knacks, books, and art. Just leave a few key pieces. Pack away all valuables and off-season clothes. For inspiration, take a walk through Ikea and note what items are on display in the sample rooms.