August is here and for many families that means it’s back-to-school time. Being organized at home will teach your children how to stay organized through life. Here are a few tips that can help everyone stay on top of things together.
- Hang a family calendar on the wall. Buy a large dry erase calendar and give each member of the house a color. Color code activities to communicate to everyone where each member of the family is.
- Create an inbox for your children to place papers that you need to sign or receive from school.
- Teach your children about earning money by having them earn their allowance. At the end of the week give them a certain amount for each chore completed. They will have to keep their rooms clean every day and complete any other household task assigned to them to receive the full allowance.
- With the trend of non-magnetic stainless steel refrigerators sweeping across kitchens everywhere children’s artwork can be displayed on the walls of their room instead.
- Before the night is over check that your children have packed their bags for the next school day. It’s much easier to remember if everything is together when you aren’t rushing out the door.
- When preparing for back-to-school clothes shopping help your children create a list of what they need, e.g. 2 pairs of jeans, 3 sweaters, 1 pair of tennis shoes, etc. Stick to the list!
- Encourage your children to do homework at their desk with a docking station for their laptop. Connecting the laptop to larger accessories suited to a desktop computer like a monitor, separate keyboard, and mouse will also cut down on the time needed to complete homework tasks.